Monday, May 28, 2012

10 Things I Miss the Most from the Philippines

A repost. As originally published on EV Mail News for the week of April 2-8, 2012.
Link: EV Mail News (Digital Version)


When some things that are very important to us become suddenly lost or just not around anymore, that's the time when we finally realize how much we miss and love those things (and people). That's exactly what happened to me when I first left my homeland after more than 30 years of living there, when my family and I were suddenly "uprooted" and transferred to Chicago.

It was some kind of a whirlwind situation for us that I didn't even have the time or the comprehension to grasp what was happening and what it really meant for us. As for me, as long as my family is together, it doesn't matter what journey we had to embark, or where ever God would allow us to be. At this time, we’re in Chicago and that's that.

And yet, this doesn't mean that I don't miss my life back "home" in Tacloban. Now that we've settled in Chicago well enough, I have more time and the needed peace to think over and ponder what has transpired in the past (almost) 7 years of our lives. Too many words have been left unsaid to friends and family back home; so many things to be done that are neglected now, or have been taken for granted, since I've never really thought that we would be leaving the Philippines.

And how about the countless great things from my homeland that we’ve left unappreciated and un-enjoyed? With the power (and maybe the curse) of hindsight and afterthought, I would have loved to explore and enjoy my country more in the past 20 years of my life if only I've known I’d be missing it so much now.

As promised, here’s one of the articles for my "10 Things-series" that I've talked about in my previous article. This is a bit of nostalgic and bittersweet; I hope you’ll all bear with me.

(1.) The warm, summerlike weather all-year round. I know that one of the most exciting things to look forward to in coming to America is to experience winter, snow and cold for the first time. But I'm sorry to say that even though snow can be pretty, fun (for kids) and heart-warming especially during the holidays, winter can get old so quick. Just like how I've taken for granted the beautiful, warm climate in the Philippines all my life and now I want it back! I've come to realize that I can live with warm weather anytime rather than have winter for 5 (or more) months a year.

(2.) Summer outfit, sandals and "tsinelas" (flip-flops). Of course, with the summer-like weather comes the short-sleeves, pedal pushers, skirts, summer dresses and sandals. My toes get cramped with thick socks, closed shoes and boots for too long. (Sigh.) I guess that's why we love our summers here in Chicago too much because we know how short and fleeting it can be.

(3.) The "greeneries" and flowers everywhere. Winter time can be gloomy and sad sometimes. What with all the "dead" trees, shrubs and no flowers (except in the flower shop). I don't care now if all the forest of plants, shrubs, grasses and coconut trees in the Philippines bring bugs and insects. I'd rather have green around me than gloom. I may be exaggerating quite a bit here but I think you know what I mean.

(4.) The beaches, sand and salt water. Oooh, how I love and miss the beaches back home! We do have a huge lake here in Chicago (Lake Michigan) and a very long river (Chicago River) but there's nothing like salt water and beach sand. I miss the way the specks of our black sand in San Jose, Tacloban twinkle under the sun. Again, I guess we miss what we don't have anymore.

(5.) The short commutes, jeepneys, tricycles and "pedicabs." I go to work everyday by train (with a short walk) and I'm thankful that I don't have to drive and no traffic to contend with. But (here's that but again!) the train ride takes about 40 to 45 minutes one-way and I'm stuck on the train for 1 hour and 30 minutes everyday. That's 7.5 hours a week, almost a day in my computation! Oh well, I guess it's not that bad. I just miss the 10 to 15 minute commute I had to make to work when I was in Tacloban, then I can go home everyday for lunch, too! (Sigh again.)

(6.) The food! And that brings us to the food. Do I need to say more? I know how we get tired of our everyday Filipino food sometimes that we might have a craving for a "McDo" burger or a Japanese sushi once in a while but imagine having no Filipino delicacies and specialties the whole year round! (Like the chocolate moron, binagol, "law-law," ginamos, "buraw nga bulad," or my Mama's famous Carabao "beef" steak.) Oh my, my. my..... I'm drooling just about right now.

(7.) The "malling" experience. For some reason, malls in America have a different feel and ambiance to them compared to the ones in the Philippines. Although I really didn't go much "malling" in the Philippines except when we were in Manila every Christmas season to be with my husband's family, and yet I miss the Filipino way of "malling." We do mall in style! Even if it’s just to cool off from the heat outside. (LOL)

(8.) Siestas, "istambay" and "pahuway." Do I need to elaborate on this? I feel that I've been deprived of pure relaxation and "real" vacation for almost 7 years now. Oh, that's not counting the one time we went home to the Philippines for an "almost-a-month" of vacation 3 years ago. That was great! I need more of those please.

(9.) One word: Alice. Ever since I can remember right after I got married, we've had Alice in our life in Tacloban. She's not just a nanny to my son nor a helper at our home. She's family. She helped me with household chores and endless domestic errands while I worked full-time. She took care of Meldrick just like any mother would. She cried when we left for Chicago, I bawled. Now, I'm left alone with everything --working full-time, taking care of my husband and son (not that I'm complaining), the cooking, cleaning, scrubbing, dusting, vacuuming and "attacking" the endless pile of laundry and ironing every week. Whew! It's now more than ever that I appreciate what Alice did for our family.

(10.) Family and friends. And of course, what is life like without family and close friends? It would be like going through the motions of life but not actually living it. I miss them so much. I miss the weekly fellowships we had at friends' homes, sharing a meal, playing games, having Bible studies, laughing and crying together, loving and growing together. I miss my parents, siblings, nephews and nieces, and cousins no matter how frustrating and "hair-pulling" stressful they can be sometimes. That's what family is all about, right? That's what they are there for, to make our life "miserable" yet full of joy, full of "drama" yet we’re filled with inexplicable fulfillment when they’re around. How I miss them so.

3 comments:

  1. Lucky to have my own "Alice": life is easier because of her. By the way, this should be part of the "it's-more-fun-in-the-Philippines" ad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Doray. I miss Mana Alice everyday, not only because of the never-ending chores but because of who she is to us. Thanks once again for your kind comments. I'm sure the Tourism Department in the Philippines would love to use my article to promote their cause to make the Philippines well-known to tourists as more fun. =) With all the negative news we receive everyday about our country, we need more positive to lift our "bandera" up! God bless my friend!

      Delete
  2. Do you wish to be protected? do you wish to saved from spiritual attack? and you thinking of were to go, then contact ogudumagictemple@gmail.com, he did it for me few weeks ago. He brought back my business to a lucrative one, he also helped me secure my relationship. he helped my friend in getting his else back, and helped them in getting a bouncing baby boy. contact ogudumagictemple@gmail.com today for your issues..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...