Thursday, November 24, 2011

Bleaching and Tanning

A repost. As originally published on EV Mail News for the week of October 24-30, 2011.


This is among the intriguing topics that my friends and I find too irresistible not to talk about. Anything that pertains to culture and the unique ways people do things are always very interesting to talk about. I find it stimulating to dissect different cultures, human beliefs, ways of life and man's similarities as well as our eccentricities.

Since I was a child, learning about other people's lifestyle has always been captivating for me. One of my childhood dreams was to become a sociologist or an archaeologist so I can find out more about the world's old and new civilizations. I think a genuine and noble interest in people's lives is what can help make us become better human beings. In sharing our humanity, telling our personal stories, and to be curious about each others' ways without being judgmental, can help us to grow closer with one another.

I'm going to take on the topic of bleaching and tanning today. My personal knowledge of the bleaching industry, specifically of the whitening products in the Philippines, may already be outdated due to my long absence. But more than 6 years ago, I still remember that Filipinos were fond of bleaching and whitening products. The fondness, if I remember correctly, was almost bordering on obsession.

The "power" to whiten was available everywhere --from the lowly "tawas," a crystal rock made of purified potassium alum which can be ground to powder form, up to the commercial products available in every grocery. I remember using "tawas" directly from its rock form. Probably due to increased demand, a lot of toiletry and cosmetic products started coming out in the market with the added ingredient of "tawas" in them. There were facial washes, astringents, deodorants, body lotions and body wash, all claiming to have the power to whiten. They promised visible results after only days of regular use. The famous tagline I remember from the commercials was, "It gives you a fairer skin with a pinkish glow!" What girl could resist that?

I was normally fairer than most girls in my country (that was then, I’m not too sure about now) due to my mixed heritage but still, I stacked on those products. As I look back now, I honestly can't fully attest to the whitening results the products promised. Maybe I simply don't remember or I didn't take notice of any difference in my appearance. I only hoarded on those products because they were readily available and they were very popular. Besides, everybody was using it, so why shouldn't I? Talk about societal influence! And as for the lowly "tawas," pure from the rock, I can attest to what people say it's supposed to do. I remember how it can truly lighten the skin almost naturally without any side effects.

As for the extreme, I've also heard of bleaching treatments being offered in beauty salons in the Philippines. I've never tried it on myself, and I don't know anyone personally who has tried it, so I can't speak about it fairly. All I know is that it's some kind of a chemical treatment which can lighten the skin to a much fairer complexion. On how much and how often to apply? I've no idea.

I've also heard that once you have started the treatment, you cannot let your skin be exposed to the sun or else a bad reaction will occur which can burn and ruin your skin entirely.

In contrast, our fair-skinned American counterparts are not very fond of their own "whiteness." As opposed to the "obsession" we have for bleaching in the Philippines, the Americans go to the other extreme to tan themselves in beaches, on their own porch or in tanning salons.

There are also various tanning products in the supermarkets here in America. There are the tanning sprays, tanning lotions, tanning oils, bronzing make-ups, darkening creams, and my personal favorite, the age-defying, mega-sizzler, sun-kissed skin toner. Doesn't it make you feel "pale" in comparison?

Most of my American friends tell me how much they love the dark, olive-skinned Asians and Latinas they see in this part of the world more and more these days. I do agree that the Filipino brown skin tone is so gorgeous. I tell my American friends we call it being "moreno" or "morena." I guess whatever brown skin tinge I had before has now been washed away by all the whitening products I doused on me in the past years. Oh well...

I guess the point in talking about these curious but seemingly polar practices is for me to ponder on the truth of human discontent. 

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content" -1 Timothy 6:6-8

"Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD." -1 Chronicles 16:10

"The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever." -Psalm 22:26

It's common for us to feel dissatisfied with what we have now. It's not only true with the color of our skin or the texture of our hair or the shape and color of our eyes, it may also go deeper as how and what the state of our heart is.

Envy, jealousy and covetousness are very real emotions that each of us can relate with. I believe Satan uses these as weapons against us. He whispers lies into our ears to make us believe that we ought to be better, so much better, from how God has created us, and that we deserve only the best in everything. But the real question is, what is the best in everything for us? Do we really know? Or, is what we call the "best" are those that have only been dictated by the world?

When we leave our hearts unguarded even for just a second, we become prone to the attacks of the evil one in the form of greed, dissatisfaction, discontent, unfaithfulness, disloyalty, love of money, and service to mammon. Oh how easily we forget the goodness of the Lord in our life and that the contentment in all His blessings is a great gain in itself.

As I get older, it's my prayer that God will help me to guard my heart from things that can rob me of my satisfaction in Him alone. He is more than enough for me. His grace is sufficient for me through all the days of my life. I know it's easier said than done, so help me God. But it's so much better to aim for godly contentment than to aim for anything lower than that.

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting post! I believe you have hit upon an important issue of women today. One that strikes unbelievers and believers alike---focusing on the outside rather than tending to inner beauty of the heart. Keep encouraging us to be "...pure in heart, for they shall see God." For we are to http://goo.gl/7wor9 and that comes from Christ in us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog "Mom of 5!" Hope to see you more on here and on your blog as well, once you've set it up! I know how much hard work that is. God bless you always! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...