Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"Writings On Water"

A repost. As originally published on EV Mail News for the week of October 17-23, 2011.
http://www.evmailnews.com/eastern-visayas-mail-issue-of-october-17-23-2011


This is the story behind my original blog I named "Writings on Water" or W.O.W. for short.

Water is powerful. It's one of those things that can make or break you, sustain or kill you, can be the best thing for you, or can be bad for you. This is why I love water. It's clear, colorless and odorless yet it tastes good. Our human bodies consist of 60% water while our brains are composed of 70% water.

We float in water while we were still inside our mother's womb and this is why experts say that water is like a second skin for an infant right after it is born. Have you ever heard of water birth? A lot of new mothers are getting into this form of delivery now because experts say it is the most natural way, it's less painful for both the mother and the baby, and the baby's entry into the world is less "traumatic." And even the world we live in is also covered in water --around 70% of our planet is made up of water.

And yet at the same time I also dread water. Especially those huge, bottomless bodies of water, I'm scared of them. I'm scared primarily because I'm not a strong swimmer. I know how to float and swim in shallow waters but oceans, rivers and lakes are out of my league.

And with the onslaught of the industrial and commercial world people are warned to be very careful in what kind of water to drink. We must be absolutely sure where the source is and that it's reliable and safe. Water contamination and toxicity are becoming one of the modern world's growing concerns. These days it doesn't mean that when there is water that we can just drink anytime. Although this latter part is an issue not inherent in water but it has given H2O a bad rap. See what I mean about making and breaking? Water can do that.

On these qualities of water I did dare to name my very first blog after. The writings on my blog are just my own thoughts, my opinions, my feelings and emotions, my beliefs and my upbringing (which as I've previously said is what blogs are for). I'd like to share my own story with anyone and everyone who likes to read and who are willing to listen.

I know my posts can either "make me or break me" but if I don't do what I love and I won't be brave enough to share a part of myself even to strangers, my words and my story will stay within me forever, unknown and unheard. Since it's my wish and my only good intention to share my faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God who is my Savior and my Lord, it is then my hope that my blog and my writings will be more of Him and about Him and less of me. Every thought I have, all that I do and say, and my life as a whole are all for His glory, I hope. So I pray that at the end of the day my story is pleasing to Him.

"...the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid." -Matthew 14:24-27

To my mind it was also apt to name my blog as Writings On Water since my Savior literally walks on water and by the command of His voice, rain and storms calm down. As a Christian, my ultimate goal is to be more like Jesus every day. We are commanded to imitate Him in all our ways and "to be perfect since our Father in heaven is perfect." This may sound too lofty to even attain in the slightest sense but this is the particular reason why we need God and why we should cling on to Him always, without Him I am nothing.

And lastly, for us Pinoys when we say "to write on water" (ilista nalang muna sa tubig) means to forget everything, ultimately. Everything from other people's offenses and sins, to each of our debts and past hurts, and all the "utang na loob," Filipinos write them on water all the time. So therefore, it's my desire and hope that my blog and all my writings will be forgiven for its misgivings and assumptions, for its errors and hearsay, and for my audacity and "kapal-muks" in sharing my humanity to all. God bless us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...