Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Blogging

A repost. As originally published on EV Mail News for the week of September 19-25, 2011.


Blog. Has anyone ever heard of blogging yet? Twenty or even ten years ago, the word blog didn't even exist in our vocabulary let alone in the dictionaries. But today it's one of the newest words people use in the internet.

The online dictionary defines blog as a Web site containing the writer's or group of writers' own experiences, observations, opinions, etc., and often having images and links to other Web sites. Its origins supposedly began between the years 1995 to 2000 when the word weblog was apparently being used to mean a type of online diary that someone makes available to other people on the internet. It was a very popular way to communicate one's personal details without any social interaction. In a sense, it's an online journal or a "public" diary. (These facts in italics are taken from the Online Dictionary: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blog)

So, is anyone among you blogging yet? Actually, I am. I began blogging about 6 months ago. I've heard of the word once or twice but I've no real idea what it really meant and what it entailed until I began blogging. Oh joy! I truly don't care if nobody else reads my blogs (yes it is with an "s" meaning they are plural!).

By creating, updating and writing for these blogs alone have already given me so much fulfillment and joy. It's more of an outlet for me, for my likes, my emotions, my opinions and my thoughts. I didn't realize that I had so much to share! Great memories come rushing back to me as I think of topics to write week after week. Memory is such a funky thing I now realize. At times, I can't even remember where I've placed my cell phone which I was just using two minutes ago but I can suddenly remember a distant past memory. Doctors call it selective memory. We Filipinos call it "ulyanin."

More importantly, these blogs allow me to write about God, my Lord and my King. Since the day He saved me by His grace, I've got so much to share to anyone who is willing to read and listen. He is everything to me and without Him I am absolutely nothing. It's my hope and prayer that my blogs will "showcase" His greatness and He will be glorified with every word I say on there.

Blogging has now taken so much of my free time. The designing, creating and updating of the sites itself take lots of time and effort. I'm glad that I love doing what I'm doing or else I could have quit just days after I started. It's like another full-time job! It also takes so much energy and effort just to think of what to write and how to compose each piece.

As an amateur writer, I consider it to be "creatively challenging." Maybe I'm just being too hard on myself. Besides if you come to think of it, based on the definitions of blogging, it's just supposed to be a plain journal or another form of a diary, and yet it's totally "glorified" and have been made more complicated to a hundredfold. Please don't misconstrue my meaning here, I'm not complaining at all. As I've said, I love doing it, I love to write and I intend to continue blogging for as long as I can even just to "record" my life story, God's great blessings and His works and more importantly, His infallible truth.

As I got more into this blogging thing much deeper, I've discovered that there is a whole new "world" of blogging on the world wide web that I've never known before. I get to meet fellow writers, bloggers and Christians who serve Him as His "warriors" on the internet. It's absolutely mind-boggling. But I don't recommend your children to be visiting this "blogging world" especially if they are not sure of what they are doing.

As always, parents and responsible adults must always supervise children's online hours. No matter if it's just for homeworks and assignments, for school projects or just for games and leisure. There's too much "unknown" on the internet as you already know, and to be clicking on links and new sites can be very dangerous not only to your children but also maybe to yourself and to your computers.

Computer viruses are rampant from untested and "underground" sites. As I venture into this new "world," I practice sound judgment, practical reasoning, and proper recommendations from trusted bloggers and online friends. And believe me, of all the hundreds of thousands out there I only have a handful of people I can say I truly trust. Half of them I know personally and the other half I just know by name and reputation. Sure, it's an exciting world but caution is still the key to a "healthy blogging."

I’m aware that my son doesn't even read my blogs. I know that he knows that his mom is "blogging" but as a teenager there are more pressing matters that need his attention rather than to read his mom's (lame) blogs. And that's all fine and dandy with me but I hope that as he gets older that he will learn to appreciate my "work" and how I "chronicled" my life in writing.

It's exciting just to think how he will show my grandchildren and his children's children how their Lola made the decision "to serve the Lord and glorify Him with her life." That would be so cool indeed.


Follow me on: Twitter: @SweetenedWaters; Triond: Sweetened Waters; Emailmara.dizon@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...