Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Citizen Dizon

A repost. As originally published on EV Mail News for the week of September 12-18, 2011.
http://www.evmailnews.com/eastern-visayas-mail-digital-issue-september-12-18-2011


Our journey to become citizens of the United States of America has not been an easy one. But it was not as dramatic or harrowing either, when compared with other immigrants' experiences to attain the "dream" to become officially part of America.

Since we have been granted the "permanent resident" status in the winter of 2004, our family had to wait for five years before we can apply for citizenship. For us, it was the next logical step and the proper decision to make after permanently living in the U.S. all these years. It was not a very difficult decision. In fact, it came easy and naturally.

So we went ahead with the applications and documentations not really knowing for sure how long the whole process would take. We were willing to wait and we were not in a hurry at all. Finally, after a cumulative total of nine months among the three of us, we are now officially new citizens of this great country.

Since we did not submit our applications all at the same time, as a result, my husband and I experienced the oath-taking ceremony three times. The mood at the oath-taking took me by surprise. My assumption of what happens at the ceremony was that it was only for formality's sake, and that it was going to be as boring as any other ceremonies ever invented by man. And that also it was just something of the ordinary and will be sort of routinary. I was wrong.

As I was surrounded by the other new citizens and as I witness names of other countries being called out, like the war-torn nations of Bosnia & Herzegovina, Iraq, Afghanistan, Rwanda and Sudan, and those from the impoverished countries like Haiti, Ethiopia, Somalia, Myanmar and Yemen, I can't help but get choked-up with emotions. I can see people standing up as their countries of origin are called and they have tears of joy and relief in their eyes just for making it to America. Becoming American citizens for these people meant literally life and death for them and their families. When my country, the Philippines, was called out I also can't help but to rise up and stand proud, so glad, and teary-eyed for the wonderful opportunity we have been afforded that day. It was a great day in America.

As my husband's turn to take his oath came, I felt the same ambiance as I did at my own oath-taking. More so, I also got to experience a different side to the story. This time, I was sitting with the families and relatives of all the new citizens. Since I've already witnessed previously among the "oath-takers" on how emotional the ceremony can be, this second time around I got to see how emotional it is also for the families and relatives who were there to witness the momentous occasion. The man sitting next to me, his name is Dave, was literally sobbing when his wife stood up when their country of origin was called. They are from Bosnia & Herzegovina. It was another sentimental and meaningful day in America.

Then it was my son's turn to take his oath. Minor children of American citizens automatically become citizens themselves but they have to take oath if they are 15 years old and above. This part of the story I have to share with everyone but I hope it won't diminish the essence of becoming a part of this great nation. As any responsible reporter would do, I will only be reporting the facts and what I've witnessed the third time around at the oath-taking ceremony. It was planned to be a specific day for the children to take their oath, with some adults who missed their previous appointments. So 95% of those present to be new citizens were teenagers.

It was still a solemn moment but the intensity of emotions was not as palpable as what I've previously witnessed twice before already. Most of those kids were probably raised here in America since at a very young age. Either they were brought here when they were still very young or they have never experienced any hardships like what Dave and his family might have gone through in their origin country.

The kids were not disrespectful at all but I can also see from their faces that they were not elated either. It was just something they had to do because their parents told them to. Most of them wore summer casual clothes. No one among them was crying, that's for sure. The ceremony was short and sweet. Not a lot of hoopla like in the previous ones I've witnessed. Then it was time to go home. I guess I can say it was still a good day in America.

As we know kids will always be kids, no matter where they came from or how they are raised. Teenagers will act as teenagers because that is who they are. But I'm also sure that all of those kids present that day at the ceremony will thank their parents for the wonderful opportunity that was given to them.

I tell my son, he doesn't lose his heritage and his being a Filipino just because of a piece of document. He is only adding another layer to his "colorful" inheritance and legacy which he will pass down to his children and to his children's children. He is now a Filipino-American, which alone is an accomplishment and an added feather to his cap. So after he is done with being a teenager, I'm pretty sure he will look back to the day of his oath-taking and will be proud and thankful.

So, as God is my witness, I still love my country of origin, the Philippines, but I've also come to love America as well. I love everything that's great and good about this country and I hate everything that's bad in it, just like any other good, abiding citizen must feel. And as I continue to learn new things about my adopted country, I will even love it more if all my immediate family were here. That's something we are working on and hoping for the "system" will follow through fairly. So help me God.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been an American citizen, but have been fortunate to live and travel to other countries where the people have not been as blessed as we have. I have a full appreciation for the blessing of being an American citizen and am enlightened by the pride new citizens share in the oath-taking ceremony. Given time, I'm sure those teens will come to understand the privilege and perks of being an American citizen as well. How exciting for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Stephanie! It's been a wonderful ride so far & we're thankful for this blessing. It's humbling to see how other people go through the worst of times & still you can see how their spirits are unbroken. It makes me more grateful for my family & our life. God is great indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...